The objectives of this policy are to:
- Ensure that Staff Australia protect the privacy of all of our employees and contractors
- Explain how we comply with our privacy obligations and how we manage the personal information we collect
Application of Policy
By submitting your personal information to us, you agree to our use and disclosure of this information as explained in this policy.
Staff Australia Pty Ltd is committed to protecting the privacy of the personal and sensitive information that is collected in relation to our employees and contractors, while also ensuring that we comply with the Privacy Act.
What is personal information?
Personal information is any information and opinion (whether true or not) collected by Staff Australia Pty Ltd. It may range from the very sensitive (e.g. medical history or conditions) to the every day (e.g. address and phone number).
It also includes the opinions of others about your work performance (whether true or not), your work experience and qualifications, aptitude test results and other information obtained by us.
What is sensitive information?
Sensitive information is a special category of personal information. It is information or opinion about you:
- Racial or ethnic origin
- Membership of a political association or religious beliefs, affiliations or philosophical beliefs
- Membership of a professional or trade association or membership of a trade union
- Sexual preferences or practices
- Criminal record
- Health or disability (at any time)
It includes personal information collected to provide a health service. Sensitive information can, in most cases, only be disclosed with your consent. Staff Australia Pty Ltd will seek your consent to the collection and use of this information.
Who will be collecting your personal and sensitive information?
Your personal and sensitive information will be collected by Staff Australia Pty Ltd for its own use in connection with your work placements.
How is the information collected?
This information will be collected in a variety of ways, including via the Staff Australia application form, submitting resumes, when you provide information either in person, over the phone or by email.
Personal and sensitive information will also be collected when:
- We complete reference checks to verify your work history and experience
- We receive the results of any competency or medical tests
- We receive any performance feedback (either positive or negative)
- We receive any complaint from or about you in the workplace
- We receive any information about a workplace accident or incident in which you are involved
- We receive any information about any insurance investigation, litigation, criminal matter, inquest or inquiry you may be involved in
When will your information be used?
Your personal and sensitive information may be used in connection with (but not limited to):
- Your work placement
- Your performance appraisals
- Any test or assessment (including medical tests and assessments) that you might be required to undergo
- Our identification of your training needs
- Any workplace rehabilitation plan or program
- Our investigation into any complaint in which you may be involved
- Any insurance matter that requires disclosure of your personal or sensitive information
Your personal and sensitive information may be disclosed to
We may disclose your personal and sensitive information for the purpose for which it was collected. Your information may be disclosed to:
- Potential employers and clients of Staff Australia
- Referees for the purpose of identification
- A workers compensation body or insurer
- Our contractors and or suppliers i.e.: RTW contractors, IT data base providers
- Any person with a lawful entitlement to obtain the information
- Registered Training Organisations for the purpose of pre-vocational training and up skilling
- Government Employment Services Australia contractors and sub contractors including First I.R Pty Ltd, in order to maximise employment opportunities for Job Seekers
What happens if you do not give us the information?
If you choose not to provide the requested information we seek you may be limiting our ability to locate suitable work opportunities for you.
Gaining access to your information
Subject to some exceptions, which are set out in the National Privacy Principles (principal 6 – Access and Correction), you have a right to see and have a copy of personal and sensitive information collected.
If you are able to establish that the information is not accurate we will take reasonable steps to correct it so that it is accurate and up to date. If you wish to access your rights of Access and Correction, you should contact the Staff Australia Privacy Officer.
Changing or deleting information
You are able to update personal information that you have submitted to Staff Australia. Your personal information must be kept up-to-date to ensure that we are able to provide you with suitable work opportunities. Please contact your Staff Australia representative to adjust any information that is out-of-date or incorrect. Sensitive information, such as bank details, must be supplied in writing.
You may also request for your personal information to be deleted. Staff Australia is required by law to retain certain information for a designated length of time. This information is unable to be deleted from our records. We will inform you if your information is unable to be deleted for legal reasons.
Concerns or Queries
If you have any concerns or queries in relation to the information collected, how it is stored, how it is disclosed etc please contact the Staff Australia Privacy Officer.